Watch video of the event here.
Deconstructing the Myths and Promoting a Nuclear Weapons-Free & Just World
Monday, July 13, 2020, 7pm EDT
Join three extraordinary speakers as we commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki A-bombs and work to build a nuclear-free and just world.
- Suichi KIDO, the General Secretary of Nihon Hidankyo, the Japan Confederaton of A- & H-Bomb Sufferers Organizations
- Gar Alperovits, author of the definitive “The Decision to Use the A-bomb”
- Rev. Liz Theoharis, Co-Chair, Poor People’s Campaign, Director of the Kairos Center for Religions, Rights and Social Justice at Union Theological Seminary
As people across the United States and around the world prepare to mark the 75th anniversary of the A-bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki—crimes against humanity that must never be repeated—leading nuclear disarmament and justice organizations have organized this webinar. Our goals are to:
- Encourage actions across the United States and beyond in solidarity with the Japan Council against A- & H-Bombs global peace wave;
- Counter the anticipated dishonest wave of propaganda that the A-bombings and sacrifices of the People of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were needed to end the Pacific War; and
- Build a movement that understands and opposes the illegitimate uses of state power, from police brutality and institutionalized racism, to foreign military interventions and continued preparations for nuclear annihilation.
Sponsored by American Friend Service Committee, Northeast Region; Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security, Gensuikyo (Japan Council against A- & H- Bombs) Peace Action, Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, United for Peace and Justice, and the Western States Legal Foundation.