Abolish Nuclear Weapons | Resist and Reverse Climate Change | For Social and Economic Justice
In the context of the suffering and changes being wrought by the pandemic, the New York Office of the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, along with leading peace, disarmament, climate, and labor organizations, will be hosting a two-hour online world conference on April 25, 2020.
The focus of this international meeting will be on the continuing and urgent need to abolish nuclear weapons and how this issue relates to the struggles for stanching the climate crisis and challenging injustices and inequalities which have left so many people marginalized and vulnerable.
We are honored to announce that the United Nations Under-Secretary-General and High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Ms. Izumi Nakamitsu will be joining us to address the Hibakusha Signature Appeal Campaign, which will be presented to the audience by Mr. Tanaka Terumi, General Secretary of the Japan Confederation of A & H Bombs Sufferers Organizations (Nihon Hidankyo).
The agenda also includes presentations by:
– Sharan Burrow – General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation
– Rev. Liz Theoharis – Co-Chair of Poor People’s Campaign (USA)
– Masako Wada – Assistant Secretary General of Nihon Hidankyo (Japan)
– Dr. Carlos Umaña – President of Regional International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (Costa Rica)
– Hiroshi Taka – Japan Council against A and H Bombs Gensuikyo (Japan)
– Xiye Bastide – Organizer Fridays for Future NYC (USA)
– Emad Kiyaei – Middle East Treaty Organization (Iran)
– Joseph Gerson – AFSC/CPDCS (USA)
– Reiner Braun – International Peace Bureau (Germany)
Download agenda here.
The conference will also be recorded and posted at worldconference2020.org.
Initiating organization include: American Friends Service Committee, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (UK), Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security, Gensuikin (Japan Congress against A- & H- Bombs,) Gensuikyo (Japan Council against A- & H- Bombs), IPB – International Peace Bureau International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, Nihon Hidankyo (Japan Confederation of A- & H- Bomb Sufferers’ Organizations), Peace Action, and Western States Legal Foundation.
A complete list of co-sponsors and more information about the event can be found at worldconference2020.org.